Wednesday, January 14, 2015

January 18, 2015 2nd Sunday in Ordinary Time

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/011815.cfm

The Old Testiment Reading is from 1st Samuel.  Another one of my favorites.  There are songs we have sung over and over during mass that bring me to tears.  Here I am Lord, your Servant is Listening.

Samuel was learning from Eli how to be a good servant to God....

This is a good lesson for us!

 “ if you are called, reply, Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.”

So, have you heard God calling?  Are you listening?  

Psalm 40 - Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
Sacrifice or offering you wished not,
but ears open to obedience you gave me.


Have you noticed how hard obedience is?  I learned that lesson a while back.  I thought I was listening to God.  But God didn't want me to choose my own path, He wanted me to follow the path of my superior in the Church.  He wanted me to follow the Church's teachings, not my own "feelings" about the teachings of the church.

I hadn't realized until then - that I was kind of a "Cafeteria Catholic".  I was picking and choosing what I liked about being Catholic.  I was really good at following what I liked doing, what was easy for me to do, even if there was some sacrifice to it.   But when it came to following all the teachings to the letter...I struggled...but I did hear God's call and I was obedient.  I am not saying I didn't complain - because I did....but I submitted to God and did His Holy Will.  I learned to finally be obedient without an attitude.  I think that is what this Psalm is saying.  I have come to do your will - not my will with your blessing.

Jesus asks Andrew and the other disciple, “What are you looking for?” This is a telling question, and one that we might often ask of ourselves. John the Baptist testified to Jesus' identity, the Lamb of God, using the framework of the Old Testament. Andrew, Simon, and the other first disciples were looking for the Messiah, whom they also came to know as the Son of God.  

Is Jesus calling us?  What is our response?  Do we have an excuse not to follow?  Or do we trust Jesus?
It's not easy, but it's the best adventure I have ever been on!  Not that I am doing it well every day...but I try!

No comments:

Post a Comment