Saturday, January 24, 2015

January 25, 2015 - 3rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/012515.cfm

As I read this Sunday's readings, I truly felt an urgency from God to follow Him.  I felt that NOW is the Time!  Did you get this feeling?

I wanted to laugh as I started reading from Jonah - because, even though the reading doesn't include the drama of God calling Jonah and Jonah running from God and then God getting Jonah's attention by having him in the belly of a fish....(How many times have I been called by God and run the other way?) - regardless...this Sunday we don't focus on that...we focus on Jonah's obedience to proclaim God's message to the people of Nineveh.....and Shocker!  They listened to God, turned from their evil ways and God repented of the evil that he had threatened to do to them.

Happily ever after!

I am a catechist (we are all catechists, if we are parents).  How are we proclaiming the word faithfully to those around us?  Are we obedient to God?  Or do we do our own thing?

In the Responsorial Psalm...it is my plea to God to help teach me His ways....make them known to me...because as a Catechist, I need to follow Him and be true to His Ways...how can I do that, if I do not know them?

The first reading starts out: I tell you, brothers and sisters, the time is running out.
and ends: For the world in its present form is passing away.
Motivating?  It is like the message of Jonah....We don't know the time do we?  

Then in the Gospel, Jesus, himself is calling us: “This is the time of fulfillment.
The kingdom of God is at hand.
Repent, and believe in the gospel.”

He calls some fishermen - and they drop their nets and follow Him....immediately.

He calls me.  Do I drop what I am doing? (laundry, cleaning, typing, ) and follow Him?  

I do feel the urgency in these readings.....My prayer is in the responsorial psalm 
"Yes, Lord" teach me your ways!  
Good and upright is the LORD;
thus he shows sinners the way.
He guides the humble to justice
and teaches the humble his way.
I humbly ask you to show me your way!

Here I am Lord!



No comments:

Post a Comment